Highlights of Mombasa
Beautiful beaches and corals and warm hospitality make for a fantastic holiday in Mombasa. Here are its best attractions.
- Bamburi Beach is a great couples’ spot, home to beach bars and restaurants.
- Palm-fringed Shanzu Beach has great water sports and luxury resorts.
- Nyali Beach is a relaxing spot with great surfing and family-friendly resorts.
- Diani Beach is the most developed beach and is considered one of the most beautiful.
Culture and attractions
- Explore the Arab architecture and historic buildings in Mombasa town. See Fort Jesus and explore the onsite museum.
- Sail by dhow to Wasini Island to explore ancient Swahili ruins and local villages.
Food and drink
- Cool down with a pint of Tusker, the refreshing Kenyan beer.
- Dine on the freshest seafood at Tangaezi restaurant at Baobab Beach Resort.
Wildlife and adventure
- Take a safari excursion from Papillon Lagoon Reef Hotel to the Ngtuni Wildlife Conservancy.
- Visit Haller Park, home to a game sanctuary, reptile park, crocodile pens, giraffe viewing platform and Nguuni Wildlife Sanctuary.
- See the Mombasa Marine National Park from a glass bottom boat or dive the MV Dania shipwreck.
- Enjoy a round of golf at the Nyali Golf & Country Club, at Voyager Beach Resort.
- Indulge in a hot stone massage or frangipani body nourish wrap at The Maisha Spa.
Events and festivals
- March: The Kenyan National Museum hosts the East African Arts Festival
- November: The streets fill with parades and Kenyan dancing for Mombasa Carnival.