- Thanks to the barrier reef, Zanzibar’s east coast beaches have the calmest water. Ocean Paradise Resort in Pwani Mchangani overlooks the island’s best beach.
- Nungwi and Kendwa, in the northwest have pristine white beaches and superb diving.
- After a tour of Stone Town, cool off with a swim at Mangapwani beach in the west.
Culture and sightseeing
- Explore the maze of bazaars and Old Fort of Stone Town. Retrace explorer David Livingstone’s footsteps to Livingstone House and visit the House of Wonders and Hamamni Persian Baths built by Sultan Barghash.
- See the cultivation of Zanzibar’s main exports with a spice plantation tour.
Food and drink
- Drink local coffee in the Arabic-style Zanzibar Coffee House.
- Enjoy Middle Eastern-Mediterranean flavours at The Pavilion restaurant, The Residence.
- Go diving with whale sharks, dolphins and turtles in the Mnemba Island atoll.
- Visit the Mnarani Marine Turtle Conservation Pond, which protects native sea turtles.
- Visit the traditional village of Fumba and take a snorkeling excursion in Menai Bay.
- Enjoy barefoot luxury in the Residence or All Inclusive Ocean Paradise.
- Take a private sunset cruise on a dhow and go snorkeling on the reef.
- Indulge in a soothing body scrub using local spices at the Mvua African Rain SPA.
Events and festivals
- February: Top Swahili artists head to Stone Town for the Zanzibar Music Festival.
- May: The Zanzibar International Film Festival celebrates the culture of Tanzania.
- October: Embrace the arts for the Bagamoyo Arts Festival